Rangers News and Notes from last night's win over Toronto

Press Release from the Rangers:

  • The Blueshirts defeated the Toronto Maple Leafs, 4-1, tonight at Air Canada Centre to improve to 7-1-0 overall, including a 3-1-0 mark on the road; the 7-1-0 record ties the best start through eight games in team history (1983-84)
  • The Rangers have extended their winning streak to seven games, including three straight wins away from MSG; the seven-game winning streak is their longest since they won seven in a row during the 2005-06 season (Feb. 1 - Mar. 2).
  • New York are currently tied for the league lead in goals per game (4.00 goals/game) and rank second in the NHL in goals against per game (1.88 goals against/game).
  • Marian Gaborik tallied two assists in a team-high 21:21 of icetime; he has now registered at least one point in each of the Rangers eight games this season (six goals and 12 points), his longest point streak to begin a season in his career and best start through eight games since he recorded 13 points (five goals and eight assists) through eight to begin the 2002-03 season.
  • Two Rangers defensemen notched a goal in tonight's contest - Marc Staal recorded the game-winner at 4:36 of the second period and Michael Del Zotto registered a power play goal 71 seconds later; the New York defense corps currently leads the NHL in goals scored (nine).
  • Brandon Dubinsky opened the game's scoring with an unassisted goal at 16:00 of the first period, and finished the game with two points (one goal and one assist), a plus-two rating and 10 faceoff wins for a 63% (10-16) success rate.
  • Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist made 34 saves to record his sixth straight win, his longest winning streak since he won seven in a row during the 2006-07 season (Mar. 17 to Apr. 1).
  • Vinny Prospal recorded an assist on Del Zotto's power play goal to extend his scoring streak to seven games (three goals and 11 points).
  • Enver Lisin registered his first goal as a Ranger at 2:26 of the third period to complete the game's scoring; Lisin's goal was assisted by Wade Redden and Michal Rozsival, giving Rangers defensemen a total of 24 points on the season.
  • The Blueshirts practice schedule for tomorrow, October 18, is 12:00 p.m. at the MSG Training Center.
  • The Rangers return to action on Monday, October 19, when they will face-off against the San Jose Sharks at Madison Square Garden (7:00 p.m.); the game will be televised nationally on Versus and can be heard on 970 The Apple.