Rangers Recap: Notes and Quotes from last night's loss to the Devils

Nyr_medium

NEW YORK RANGERS POST-GAME NOTES AND QUOTES

October 22, 2009 - New York Rangers 2, New Jersey Devils 4 (Game #10, Home #6)

Click Here For The Official Game Summary

  • The Rangers were defeated by the New Jersey Devils, 4-2, in front of a sold-out crowd (18,200) at Madison Square Garden.
  • New York have sold out 162 consecutive regular season games, dating back to November 5, 2005 against New Jersey; the last regular season non-sellout was October 31, 2005 vs. Montreal (17,697); including the playoffs, the Rangers sellout streak is now at 176 games.
  • The Blueshirts dropped to 7-3-0 overall, including a 4-2-0 mark at home; the Rangers are 12-3-0 in their last 15 regular season games at MSG.
  • The Rangers converted one of three power play opportunities to extend their streak to eight games (12-33, 36.4%) with at least one goal on the man advantage, their longest since they tallied a power play goal in 10 straight during the 2005-06 season (Mar. 12 - Mar. 29).
  • Marian Gaborik put the Rangers on the board with a power play tally at 1:47 of the second period; he finished the contest with four shots in a game-high, 24:29 of icetime, and is now tied for third in the league in goals (seven) and points (13), ranks second in the NHL in shots (43) and sixth among all forwards in average icetime (21:47).
  • Ales Kotalik led the team with two points (one goal and one assist) in 16:41 of icetime; he recorded an assist on Gaborik's power play goal, and is now tied for the league lead in power play points (eight) and ranks second in the NHL in power play assists (six).
  • Vinny Prospal tallied a power play assist and won seven faceoffs (7-12, 58%) in 24:09 of icetime; he is now tied for second in the NHL in assists (nine) and sixth in points (12).
  • Rangers defenseman Dan Girardi collected one assist in the contest, and now ranks 14th among NHL defensemen in points (six).
  • Brandon Dubinsky delivered a season-high, 10 hits, and Ryan Callahan registered a team-high, six shots in the contest.
  • The Rangers practice schedule for tomorrow, October 23, is 12:00 p.m. at the MSG Training Center.
  • The Rangers return to action on Saturday, October 24, when they will face-off against the Montreal Canadiens at Bell Centre (7:00 p.m.), in an Original Six matchup; the game will be televised live on MSG Network and can be heard on 1050 ESPN Radio.

John Tortorella on facing adversity...

"I thought we stood up pretty good here tonight, being down 2-0.  Third period, I thought we were playing well. A kind of funny goal goes in on us and we are just not able to score the next one.  This is when you start finding out about your club, when you go through situations like this.  It is a long year, but these are the type of situations where you play your next game...how some guys react.  I am not disappointed in the team as far as how they played.  I thought they made some good plays.  We made some bonehead plays that cost us but I like the way we battled back.  The guys stayed together so we will see what happens when we play Montreal."

 Henrik Lundqvist on tonight's game...

"It hurts to lose the game.  We came back after the first couple of periods.  They came out pretty strong.  When you lose the puck at the wrong time of the game, it is going to really hurt you.  We came back and played really well in the second half of the game.  It is a tough way to lose a game."

 Chris Drury on the third period...

"Other than the bounce (on the Devils third goal) tonight I thought our third (period) was pretty good. I thought we had good chances. Sometimes you don't get the bounces you need in the third and you lose the game."