Rangers GameDay: News and Notes

Good Morning, don't forget, the Rangers game is at 2 PM today

Andrew Gross talks about what a steal the Rangers got in Vinny Prospal (NorthJersey.com)

Quite simply, signing veteran Vinny Prospal for a bargain-basement, one-year deal has been nearly as important as committing $37.5 million over five seasons to goal machine Marian Gaborik.

In fact, it's Prospal who now wears the "A" of an alternate captain. Not bad for a guy who didn't know where he was going to be playing less than a month before training camps opened.

Also, recently recalled P.A. Parenteau is going to be asked to put in some time on the penalty kill:

Indeed, John Tortorella said he would include Parenteau in his penalty kill plans for today’s game at Ottawa because he needs others to alleviate Vinny Prospal’s burden.

The Rangers allowed two power-play goals in five opportunities in Thursday’s 5-3 loss to the Thrashers as they played their first game without penalty-kill stalwarts Chris Drury (concussion) and Brandon Dubinsky (broken right hand).

Tortorella tried to give 6-foot-7 center Brian Boyle more ice time — including 1:15 on the penalty kill — but Boyle lost eight of 10 faceoffs. So Tortorella wound up playing Prospal, who is centering the top line, a season-high 27:52, including 2:52 on the penalty kill.

NYRangerscast.com looks at the Atlanta Aftermath

The Ottawa Sun looks at the goaltending woes the Senators are facing.

The Ottawa Citizen says the Sens aren't drawing enough penalties to get the most out of Alexei Kovalev

For more on the Senators, check out Silver Seven

Rangers vs Senators preview

Rangers vs Senators coverage