Rangers News: Matt Cooke suspended 2 games for hit on Anisimov

The Canadian Press is reporting that the NHL has suspended Penguins LW Matt Cooke 2 games for his hit on Artem Anisimov in last night's loss to the Pens.

Pittsburgh Penguins left-winger Matt Cooke was suspended for two games without pay by the NHL on Sunday for a deliberate check to the head area of New York Rangers centre Artem Anisimov on Saturday night.

Cooke, also suspended for two games in January, is considered a repeat offender under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Because of that, he forfeited US$29,268 in salary based on the number of games (82) in a season, rather than the number of days (193). The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

Cooke was assessed a minor penalty for interference at 7:39 of the third period. Anisimov was injured on the play and did not return to the game.

Here is the video of the hit: