FanPost

Thoughts On Chris Drury

     Hello everyone. I've noticed that a lot of Ranger fans out there are anti-Drury, something that I don't fully comprehend. I understand the salary aspect, he's being paid a lot (About $7 Million a year for 3 more years) and not really producing stats that people may think are acceptable. Can you really blame the guy for Sather liking to pay players a lot of money? No. His statistics should not be surprising to people. Chris Drury has always been a quality, all-around forward. He has qualities that don't show up on scoresheets or in the boxscore. Drury is a leader, a damn fine one at that. Drury plays incredibly smart defensive hockey, he is a Penaty Kill maestro, and his heart and determination are unquestionable. These aspects of his game are overlooked by many who see that he does not produce 30+ goals or 70+ points as a Ranger. However, if you look at the statistics throughout his career then you should not expect to see a player who dominates the scoresheet.

Goals:

Chris Drury over his career has averaged 24 goals per season. As a New York Ranger, his goal totals per season are 25 (2007-2008) and 22 (2008-2009). He is right on average for his career, a nice statistic especially since his he and his supporting cast were known for their lack of goal-scoring prowess the past seasons.

Now, a lot of you might be thinking, "Hey, HeartOfARanger... remember the 2007 Playoffs when Drury and the Sabres (A team that also had Ales Kotalik) beat the Rangers? He had 37 goals that season!" I'd say you are correct, I'd also say that season was Chris Drury's best. He had 37 Goals and 32 Assists for 69 Points that season. That was with a team that finished 1st in the Eastern Conference in the Regular Season, won the President's Trophy, and went to the Eastern Conference Finals. They ran into a hot Ottawa Senator team (A team that had Wade Redden before he was a dirty, old, sack of s***) and eventually lost in 5 games. Drury was surrounded with an offensive juggernaut of a team with the Sabres, they had the highest Goals Per Game that season.

Points:

Chris Drury over his career has averaged 58 points per season. As a New York Ranger, his point totals per season are 58 (2007-2008) and 56 (2008-2009). Once again, he is right on average for his career. His career highs in points are 69 in 2006-2007 with the Buffalo Sabres, a team previously mentioned in the paragraph above. Drury had 67 Points in 2005-2006 with the Buffalo Sabres. This team was not only in The Eastern Conference Finals that year, but ONE WIN AWAY from being in the Stanley Cup Finals. They went down in Game 7 to the Carolina Hurricanes, the eventual Stanley Cup Champions. He had 67 Points in 1999-2000 with the Colorado Avalanche, an amazing team full of superstars that made it to the Western Conference Finals, losing in Game 7 to the Dallas Stars. Finally, Drury had 65 Points in 2000-2001 with the Avalanche, the Stanley Cup Winners. Drury's high point totals have always been with amazing teams that have made it to at least the Conference Finals, teams that have superstars around him.

Chris Drury is a great leader, a player who never has a lazy shift and always plays with his heart out on the ice. He hustles, he battles, he sacrifices the body. He can play every situation, PP, PK, or Even Strength well. He's the Captain of the New York Rangers, I believe the man deserves some respect.