Rangers Recap: Kiprusoff leads Flames past Rangers, Drury, Dubi hurt

Recap from Jim Cerny at Rangers.com (click link for full story)

The Rangers showed plenty of mettle, playing a strong game even after losing Chris Drury and Brandon Dubinsky to injury, but still dropped a 3-1 decision to the Calgary Flames at the Pengrowth Saddledome on Saturday night.

Steve Valiquette made his second straight start in goal after Henrik Lundqvist announced Saturday morning that he had a minor injury, and that it was best to take another night off. Valiquette, who made 26 saves in Thursday’s 4-2 win over the Edmonton Oilers, responded with another strong performance on Saturday. He finished the game with 19 saves.

Already playing without their No. 1 goalie, the Rangers next lost their captain when Drury was drilled to the ice by a blindside Curtis Glencross hit up high just 49 seconds into the first period. The hit went unpenalized even though the puck was nowhere near Drury, and the Rangers captain had his back to the onrushing Glencross.

Trailing 2-1 in the third period, Marian Gaborik had a slew of excellent scoring chances on the power play, though Calgary goalie Miikka Kiprusoff was up to the task at hand. Just 22 seconds into the third Gaborik was robbed on a backhander from the low slot as Kiprusoff flashed out his left pad. Two minutes later Michael Del Zotto hammered a slap shot on goal that Kiprusoff stopped, and Gaborik shoveled the rebound at the net, but Kiprusoff again made the save. Ryan Callahan then chipped a second rebound attempt wide of the net.

The loss brought to a close the Blueshirts’ three-game road trip through Western Canada. The club finished 1-2-0 on the trip.

Rangers vs Flames recap from TSN

Rangers vs Flames coverage

Rangers vs Flames boxscore