FanPost

If Gaborik is , "the Ultimate gamble" ...Forsberg could be "the Ultimate steal?' What do we have to lose?

Ah, Our New York Rangers are in discussions with an injury prone, one time great free agent, who played his heart out in the past and is ready for some more action in this coming season. Where have I heard this before? Ohh, yeah  Shannny, Lindros, Gretzky, Lindros.... hey guys by the way, watch what you say about Cindy now because he's on Sather's list of get em while there "not" list of future pick ups. Not to say all of the aforementioned were total busts but definitely not prime cut players in there stint in New York.

The real question is just that ... is Forsberg in prime Txcomeback form, or is he over the hill and long gone from the great player he once was? Now this question might be golden for teams looking for a spark or a missing piece, why? because now it gives all NHL GM's leverage knowing Peter  has to MAKE IT back and prove himself because hasn't gotten IT back already. He speaks as if he has already began retirement which is a bad bargaining chip when talking bucks.. ("It was worse than I thought,"  "It went a bit faster than I was prepared. My performance against the Russians was pretty O.K., I think, but today I was not good."). Of coarse him speaking of his performance in Finland's Trouncing of Sweden 7-0 in the Karjala Cup tournament. A tourney in which 3 games he scored 0 points. Maybe the #21 this year has a jinx on it i dont know?

Anyway.. the question that would follow is he ready to play old Foppa style hockey and  would this move make sense? and of course first... it would have to make CENTS, which is just about how much the Rangers have  under there cap in comparison to wanting to sign Forsberg. He knows he can get Jagr money or at least Sundin money(in Vancouver) so why not get it, somewhere, anywhere? Even if it means playing in the Florida version of Hockey homes in terms of retiring and where old players go of to die in the KHL...okay maybe just to make their last buck, but you get my point.  If the Rangers move a couple pieces around you just might get surprised, ...although i wont hold my breath, but here is the scenario...

So, for a prorated 3 million dollar contract, bright lights of New York, our current injury situation(Drury and Dubinsky), a fun toy for him to play with on his right wing in Gaborik, his Vezina Caliber, (although i'm getting tired of that analogy lets call him "Brodeur Owning") countryman Henrik "The King" Lundvquist in net, not to mention tons of leadership, with a chance to show Sid-Malkin, Ovie-Semin, that there is a better combo than both in the league and make a statement I AM BACK(remember I said CHANCE guys) ... I would take it and i'm sure most of you would too. What do we have to lose?

--Now the hard part would be getting Higgins to give him his number 21... that might be the deal breaker ;p--

(picture via i.a.cnn.net)