Rangers News: Ranger Prospects Spark USA to 3-0 win over Swiss in World Juniors

via storage.canoe.ca

U.S. National Junior Team Blanks Switzerland, 3-0,
at IIHF World Junior Championship

Campbell Logs 22 Saves in Shutout Effort

SASKATOON, Sask. - Jack Campbell (Port Huron, Mich.) stopped all 22 shots faced, as the U.S. National Junior Team shut out Switzerland, 3-0, in its second game of the 2010 International Ice Hockey Federation World Junior Championship. The U.S. improved its overall record to 2-0-0-0, with two games remaining in the tournament's preliminary round.

"I thought we stuck to our game plan and eventually wore them down," said Dean Blais, head coach of the U.S. National Junior Team. "Both goaltenders played extremely well. I thought Jack really made some key saves in the first period to keep the game scoreless."

Campbell started strong between the pipes, turning aside a a pair of Swiss breakaway attempts and helping Team USA kill a two-man disadvantage in the opening frame.

The U.S. grabbed a 1-0 lead six minutes into the second period on its first power play of the game. Chris Kreider (Boxford, Mass./Boston College) redirected a Cam Fowler (Farmington Hills, Mich.) slap shot under Swiss goalie Benjamin Conz for his first tally of the tournament.

Team USA sealed its victory with a pair of third period goals. Matt Donovan (Edmond, Okla./Univ. of Denver) scored his second of the tournament with seven-and-a-half minutes remaining after collecting a pass from Ryan Bourque (Boxford, Mass.) and beating Conz low to the stick side. AJ Jenks' (Wolverine Lake, Mich.) tally four minutes later completed the scoring.

Next action for Team USA comes Tuesday (Dec. 29) at 3 p.m. CST against Latvia. The game can be seen live in the U.S. on the NHL Network. It will also be streamed live in the U.S. on FASTHockey.com.

NOTES: Chris Kreider was named Team USA's Player of the Game ... Nine players have combined to score Team USA's 10 goals to date in the tournament ... The 2010 IIHF World Junior Championship runs Dec. 26 - Jan. 5 in Regina and Saskatoon, Sask. For Team USA's full schedule, click here ... The NHL Network (U.S.) and FASTHockey.com will air every U.S. game live from Saskatoon ... In other tournament action, Sweden defeated Austria, 7-3, while the Czech Republic will take on Finland and Slovakia will face Latvia later in the day. For complete results and stats from the tournament, visit IIHF.com ... For full coverage of the 2010 U.S. National Junior Team, including photos, videos and features, click here.

GAME SUMMARY

Scoring By Period

SUI

0 -

0 -

0 -

0

USA

0 -

1 -

2 -

3

First Period - Scoring: None. Penalties: USA, Walker (interference), 9:51; USA, Carlson (delay of game), 10:56.

Second Period - Scoring: 4, USA, Kreider (Fowler, Stepan), 5:57 (pp). Penalties: SUI, Schappi (holding), 5:03; SUI, Camperchioli (hooking), 6:32; SUI, Niederreiter (tripping), 12:05; USA, Warsofsky (tripping), 17:36.

Third Period - Scoring: 2, USA, Donovan (Bourque, Palmieri), 12:35; 3, USA, Jenks (Warsofsky, Morin), 16:36. Penalties: SUI, Camperchioli (tripping), 1:44; SUI, Fuglister (hooking), 9:09.

Shots by Period

1

2

3