FanPost

Why doesn't our defense shoot the puck?

Taking a look at the SOG among defenseman in the NHL, you'll note only one Ranger cracks the top 50 in SOG this season, Dan Girardi and his 59 SOG.    Here's the current list:

Girardi           59  (1.55/g)  - T49th
Gilroy             45 (1.36) - T76th
Del Zotto       40 (1.05)  - T87th
Redden         34 (1.09) - T107th
Rozsival        34 (0.89) - T107th
Staal              34 (0.89) - T107th

With Tortorella supposedly stressing 'safe is death' hockey and pushing for defensemen to get involved in the play, these numbers should not jive.    For reference, here's the team under Renney last year (and part Tortorella obv)

Redden      161 (1.99/g)  - 20th
Girardi        121 (1.48/g) - 48th
Rozsival     120 (1.57/g) - 50th
Mara            102 (1.34/g) - 71st
Staal            96  (1.17/g)  - 75th
Kalinin         51  (0.87/g) -  109th (finished with 67shots)

What's more, the team this year has already scored 19 goals (7.45%), whereas last year's defense scored only 25 goals all season (3.59%).    So maybe it's simple selectivity and nothing more.   I don't have access to the data, but maybe this year's team just misses the net more.   Whatever the story is, there is a clear drop off in SOG from the point, which may be in part contributing to the struggles of Drury, Avery, Callahan, Higgins, and others who have made a living cashing in rebounds and slop.