FanPost

Rangers Sign Matt Gilroy

Link to the TSN story is here.

Link to his statisics is here.

I privately called this during the Frozen Four. I thought either the Rangers or the Islanders would make a play for a the "local boy". I didn't think it would take this long though.

Gilroy was a walk-on at BU and developed into an excellent college player. But his strength was as an attacking defenseman and his stardom this year was in many ways related to how well he fit into a Terriers system that thrives on activating the defense.

This signing raises a few questions.

1. How well will Gilroy's skills translate to the NHL?

2. What does this mean for an already crowded blue line? Especially for Paul Mara.

3. How wise is it for a team so tight to the cap to guarantee a 2/$3million to an undrafted free agent?

4. With so many of the Rangers top prospects being D, is this a smart use of money?

I like Gilroy. He impressed me tremendously this season. But I wonder how much this is a move driven by his "story" versus a wise organizational decision for the Rangers.