New York Rangers at Boston Bruins: Open Game Thread

Nyr_medium Bruins_medium

TV: MSG Plus (DirecTv NHL Center Ice 770 Rangers Feed)

Radio: 1050 AM

Something Bruin At: Stanley Cup of Chowder

Between the Pipes:

GP MIN W L T EGA GA GAA SA SV SV% SO
2008 - Henrik Lundqvist 66 3914 35 24 7 3 162 2.48 1889 1727 .914 3

GP MIN W L T EGA GA GAA SA SV SV% SO
2008 - Tim Thomas 51 3076 33 11 7 4 108 2.11 1590 1482 .932 4

Game Notes:

  • Henrik Lundqvist has had alot of success against the Bruins in his career. Lundvist is 10-2-2 with 3 shutouts, a GAA of 1.45, and a save percentage of .949 lifetime against the Bruins.
  • The Rangers will get veteran defenseman Michal Rozsival back into the lineup today, which should provide a lift to the struggling power play. Rozsival has missed the previous five matches due to an injured knee, but has been skating since early in the week, and has had two full practices with the team.
  • The Rangers and Bruins are meeting for the fourth and final time this season. The Blueshirts won twice on home ice, but were blanked 1-0 by rookie netminder Tuukka Rask in the only other contest played so far up in Boston.
  • This season the Bruins have scored an incredible 78 more goals then they have surrendered, far and away the best goal differential in the league. The 181 goals they have given up is the lowest of any team in the National Hockey League.
  • D Derek Morris has been given an expanded role in recent games on a power-play unit that has been ranked near the bottom of the NHL all season. "We feel right now that he's one of our best power-play guys, as far as the point," coach John Tortorella said. "He's got a big shot, he sees the ice very well and he can move the puck. That's a big addition to us."
  • Bruins can clinch the top spot in the East with at least a point today.
  • The Bruins had been embroiled in a 6-9-4 funk before their current winning streak, which has been sparked by superior special teams play. They're 7-for-17 on the power play in the last five games, while killing 18 of 19 penalties.

Early game today, so we'll start the open thread early as well.