Rangers News: Rangers sign Michael Del Zotto

Delzotto_m_0526_action1_medium The Rangers announced today that they have signed 2008 1st round pick Michael Del Zotto to his first pro contract:

Highlights from the story on newyorkrangers.com

Del Zotto, 18, skated in 62 games with the Oshawa Generals and London Knights of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) this season, registering 13 goals and 50 assists for 63 points, along with 78 penalty minutes. The two-time OHL All-Star finished the season ranked sixth among all OHL defensemen in scoring and assists, while his 50 assists tied for 11th in the league overall. He also ranked fifth in the league with 32 power play assists.

The native of Stouffville, Ontario, was the Rangers’ first round choice, 20th overall, in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. The selection marked the third time in four years the Rangers have chosen a defenseman in the first round, having drafted Marc Staal with the 12th overall pick in 2005 and Bobby Sanguinetti with the 21st overall pick in 2006.

Busy day today, news-wise for the Rangers and the NHL.