NHL News: Patrick Roy declines offer to become Avs Head Coach

After a couple of weeks to think it over, Patrick Roy has turned down the offer to become coach (and rumored GM) of the Colorado Avalanche.

Highlights of the story from the Denver Post:

Late Tuesday night, Roy phoned Avalanche president Pierre Lacroix to tell him that, because of family reasons, Roy will not accept the Avs' offer to coach the team this coming season. Roy will continue with the Quebec Remparts of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, but said the door is not shut on his returning to the Avs at some point in the future.

"I felt pretty comfortable moving up, but the family situation is just not quite there for me right now," Roy said. "When it comes to family, it's always easier to make a decision. But don't get me wrong here, I have the Avalanche at heart. There's two very special organizations for me - Montreal and Colorado - and it's never easy. I would have seen it as a great challenge. But the door is not closed, that's for sure."

As for now, Tony Granato remains the Avalanche coach. No, that's not an uncomfortable situation at all.