SBNation NHL Mock Draft: Day 2

09-nhl-draft_medium

Today is Day Two of the NHL Mock Draft over at James Mirtle's From the Rink, all the SBN hockey managers are picking for their respective teams. I will be making the selection for our New York Rangers over the weekend, to be published on Monday.

1 N.Y. Islanders John Tavares, London (OHL) The sexy pick, the consensus pick, the right pick. He's what this team and franchise needs most. Get ready for "Islanders goal scored by #91..." because they're coming in bunches. Lighthouse Hockey
2 Tampa Bay Victor Hedman, Modo (Swe) A boy playing  among men in the Swedish Elite League (and thriving) the past two seasons, Hedman starts immediately on the TB blueline and can contribute at both ends of the ice. Raw Charge
3 Colorado Matt Duchene, Brampton (OHL) No big surprise here; we’ll take whichever of the big 3 is available and immediately offer them a position as GM & coach. Mile High Hockey
4 Atlanta Evander Kane, Vancouver (WHL) Named after Atlanta boxing legend Evander Holyfield, Kane adds some scoring punch to Atlanta's top six — perhaps as early as this fall. Bird Watchers Anonymous
5 Los Angeles Braydon Schenn, Brandon (WHL) Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson is the popular pick here, seeing as how the Kings need a left winger badly, but I'm counting on Dean Lombardi's love of grit and distaste for Swedes to influence his decision here. Plus, I really wanted to upset Toronto fans. Battle of California
6 Phoenix Jared Cowen, Spokane (WHL) The Coyotes are deep on forward prospects and badly need young defensemen. Cowen is a beast who could play in the NHL very soon if his recently repaired knee doesn't hamper him. Five For Howling
7 Toronto
8 Dallas
9 Ottawa
10 Edmonton