15 years ago today: Rangers 3 Canucks 1, series tied at 1

Vancouver_canucks_medium Nyr_medium

The Rangers found themselves in a familiar position after Game One of the Stanley Cup Finals. It was an identical situation they faced headed into Game Two of the Eastern Conference Finals against the Devils: down 1-0 in the series after losing Game One at home in overtime after surrendering a late tying goal in regulation.

Just like in the Eastern Conference Finals, the Rangers managed to bounce back in Game Two. They insured this by beating the Canucks, 3-1, with the game-winning goal scored by Glenn Anderson, and setup by Mark Messier, while the Rangers were short-handed.

The Rangers were holding a 2-1 lead in the waning moments of the game, and with Vancouver goaltender Kirk McLean on the bench, Brian Leetch assured there would be no late game meltdown when he scored a long empty net goal to seal the win for the Rangers and send the series back to Vancouver tied at one game apiece.

Doug Lidster opened the scoring for the Rangers, with a goal at the 6:22 mark of the first period. Sergio Momesso tied it for the Canucks late in the first, but Anderson put the Rangers ahead for good with a goal at the 11:42 mark of the second period with Adam Graves in the box for tripping.

Pavel Bure, Vancouver's star sniper, was held scoreless for the second consecutive game after leading the NHL with 13 goals in the first three rounds. Shadowed closely by Adam Graves, he had just four shots on goal, and was on the ice for all three Ranger goals.