Are the Leafs interested in Wade Redden?

Gredden_medium

Just found this update on the Toronto Globe and Mail, here are the highlights of particular interest to us:

There is belief the Maple Leafs have been zeroing in on New York Rangers defenceman Wade Redden and forward Peter Schaefer of the Boston Bruins.

Schaefer, 31, was buried in the minors by the Bruins last season because of salary cap concerns. He has one more year on his contract at $2.3-million (U.S.). Redden, 32, was signed to a six-year, $39-million unrestricted free-agent deal last summer, and the Rangers would not be averse to moving him.

The Leafs have plenty of salary cap room – $10-million to $13-million depending on the contract given to restricted free-agent forward Mikhail Grabovski – to accommodate both players.

But if the Leafs have interest in Redden, it means Burke must be serious about trading away either Tomas Kaberle or Pavel Kubina. The two veteran defenceman have no-trade contracts, but a window in which they can be traded opens when the draft commences on Friday.

"I’m going [to Montreal] to listen to offers," said Leafs GM Brian Burke.

I know rumors of all kinds are rampant on hockey sites all over the blogosphere, some sites thrive on wild rumors that are invented in their own mind. But I can't help but think there is a little fire on this one. If you were going to create a crazy rumor to draw attention, I can't imagine you would start with Wade Redden.