The 2009 Blueshirt Banter NHL Mock Draft

(Note by Jim Schmiedeberg, now that the SBNation Mock Draft is all finished, Joe has put together a mock of his own, here are his thoughts on the first round. It's probably not wise to doubt Joe after his performance in the playoff pickems)

Sorry, this didn't format well on the main page, click here to read the whole thing.

09-nhl-draft_medium

Team  Player Chosen  Pos. Current Team Why?
Islanders John Tavares  C London - OHL  Although I would think that the Islanders would want to build from the back Tavares is just going to be too tempting. Islanders make no surprise picks here, Tavares is number 1.
Lightning  Victor Hedman  D MODO - Sweden This actually works out well for the Lighting since they are in desperate need for defensive help. In Hedman they have the power play QB and bone crushing defenseman teams dream of for years to come.
Avalanche Matt Duchene C Brampton - OHL  The Avalanche cant expect Joe Sakic to last forever. In Duchene they effectively replace him with another quality sniper who can also wield the C at a later date.
Thrashers Brayden Schenn  C Brandon - OHL  In Schenn the Thrashers would be drafting a quality goal scorer who would help set up Kovalchuk on a nightly basis and also take some of the scoring pressure of of him. Schenn might even help them re-sign Kovalchuk long term.
Kings Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson LW Timra - Sweden  Paajarvi-Svensson has had scouts drooling for almost a year. Now it's time for him to help Kopitar and Frolov bring the Kings back into the playoffs.
Coyotes  Oliver Ekman-Larsson's D Leksand - Sweden  The Coyotes are in desperate need for both defense and offensive help. Ekman-Larsson helps them in both categories. Prolific offense helps him get chosen 7th overall by a needy Coyotes.
Leafs Evander Kane  C Vancouver - WHL  The Leafs have been looking for offensive help since Sundin walked. Burke would be estatic if Kane falls to him at 8 and will take the dynamic goal scorer without a second glance.
Stars Dmitry Kulikov D Drummondville - QMJHL The Stars need defensive help and in Kulikov they get that, they also get a prolific power play quarterback who was dominant in the (granted high scoring) QMJHL. Kulikov would be dominant for years for the Stars.
Senators Jared Cowen D  Spokane - WHL You might excpect an offensive pick here but the Senators have pleanty of that. They need defense and in Cowen they get a big mean guy who will keep their creases clean for a long time.
Oilers Zack Kassian  RW Peterborough - OHL The Oilers have been looking for a prime power forward and have tried very hard to obtain one (the Dustin Penner incident). In Kassian they get their power forward with a serious scoring touch and a mean right hook
Predators Jordan Schroeder C Minnesota - WCHA The Predators had all kinds of problems scoring last year, so Schroeder will help. The only downside is that he is still in college and will need a few more years to develop, but when he does expect him to be an NHL force.
Wild Nazem Kadri C London - OHL  Kadri is a solid sniper who also has fantastic vision. The Wild would be thrilled to have him fall into their lap, seeing as how he might replace--probably gone--Marion Gaborik.
Sabres John Moore D Chicago - USHL With the departure of Campbell and Kalinin (excuse me while I puke) the Sabres are in need of a defenseman who can patrol their blue line. With Moore and Myers (last year's first round pick) the Sabres will be set on D for a long time.
Panthers Ryan Ellis D Windsor - OHL With JayBo departing there is no way the Pathers allow Ellis to slip from their grasp. That is untill he is a UFA and he ultimatly leaves them for a big market team, then they need to draft a power play QB and the cycle continues (lather, rinse,  repeat)
Ducks Simon Despres  D Saint John - QMJHL The Ducks only have one (you read that right one) defenseman under contract for next year (Pronger) so it makes sense for them to start filling the pipe-lines with defensive prospects and in Despres you get a big mean guy with a very heavy shot.
Blue Jackets Carter Ashton  RW Lethbridge - WHL The Blue Jackets can use a true power forward up front to help them in the futue, especially if Nash leaves. His scoring touch and ability to play with a gritty edge will be benificial to the Jackets for years to come.
Blues Olivier Roy G Cape Breton - QMJHL The Blues have drafted so well over the past few years their only glaring need is a goalie. And in Roy the get the best in the draft. Plus how can you turn down a goalie with the last name Roy?
Canadiens Tim Erixon D Skelleftea - Sweden Big guy with soft hands, he has all the makings of a very good power play QB. And with all of the defense on its way out of Montreal they need to keep the pipe-lines full.
Rangers Scott Glennie  C Brandon - WHL Glennie is a pure sniper with tons of speed. His passing is also top notch, he could be the power play star the Rangers have been longing for.
Flames Peter Holland C  Guelph - OHL The Flames need some debth up the middle and in the very big Holland they get just that.
Flyers Stefan Elliott D Saskatoon - WHL The Flyers are always, and I mean always, looking for a power play quarter back. Well in Elliott they get a guy that has all the tools and all the smarts to fill that role.
Canucks Kyle Palmieri C  USNTDP With the Sedin twins probably on the way out it might be a good idea to stock up on young centers with tons of offensive talent. Sat hello to Kyle Palmieri Vancouver fans.
Devils Jacob Josefson C Djurgarden - Sweden The Devils know how to draft and they will take the risk on Josefson. Some scouts say if he shot the puck more and worked a little harder he would have been a lock for the top 15.
Capitals  Calvin de Haan D Oshawa - OHL We all know that the Capitals are the offensive team in the NHL right now but defense wins championships. They take Haan at 25 and in him they get a very solid D man who can patrol the blue line.
Bruins David Rundblad D Skelleftea - Sweden This year the Bruins traded a top offensive D man prospect to get Recchi. Rundlad would help fill the void for that trade.
Islanders* Louis Leblanc C  Omaha - USHL With their second first round pick in this draft the Islanders continue their rebuilding process by obtaining very skilled Louis Leblanc.
Hurricanes  Nick Leddy  D Eden Prairie - Minn. (High)  The Hurricanes need some D, and they get it with the crafy D man out of high school. Another work in process, as he will take at least two years to develop, but might be great in the end.
Blackhawks Chris Kreider  C Andover Academy (Mass.)  Although Kreider will be a project he has all of the tools to make him one of the more prolific power forwards in the NHL. You can foloow his progress at BC this upcoming school year.
Red Wings Carl Klingberg LW Frolunda Jr. - Sweden If anyone has had luck developing players from Sweden its Detroit. Klingberg has been scouted as being a Forsberg type player, if anyone can make that happen it’s the Wings.
Penguins Zach Budish RW Edina (Minn.) High  The Cup champs take a big mean guy with pleanty of size and skill.