2009 NHL Draft: New York Rangers select Chris Kreider from Andover Academy

New York Rangers Draft Pick Chris Kreider

Chris Kreider knows that when the Rangers drafted him with the 19th pick, his loyalties had changed:

"I grew up a Boston Red Sox fan, but if the Red Sox are playing the Yankees, I guess I better say Yankees, right?" He grew up a Bruins fan, but all that's changed

If he becomes the player the Rangers think he can be, it won't matter. He said he knew the Rangers were interested, he felt the interviews with them went well. He's never been to NY, but looks forward to his first trip. "My whole family's been there, and I can't wait to go" He will still attend BC in the fall, NYU isn't known for its hockey program.

When asked who on the Rangers impresses him the most, he responded "Lundqvist"

He told me in a one on one interview that he wasn't worried about the pressure of playing in NY, and that Ray Bourque was his idol growing up, but he's willing to learn about Brian Leetch. Kreider told me he is very excited about being part of the storied tradition of the Rangers.

Kreider played at Andover Academy in Massachussetts, putting up 96 points in 2 years for them. Some scouts feel that not only is he the fastest skater in the draft, but is already faster than many NHL skaters.

The Rangers seem to feel Kreider can be ready in 2 years. I will have more from Gordie Clark on the selection tomorrow.