FanPost

Group 2 Free Agents

Hey guys it’s me again. Lately I have been pondering about how scary it will be if Brandon Dubinsky gets signed to an offer sheet and for just how much it would be for. Then that got me wondering about the rest of the NHL’s Group 2 Free Agents. Group 2 free agents are defined as “These players have been tendered a qualifying offer by their respective Clubs and are subject to draft-choice compensation and right to match.” The compensation works out to be

$994,433 or below

None

 Over $994,433 to $1,506,716

Third-round choice

Over $1,506,716 to $3,013,434

Second-round choice

Over $3,013,434 to $4,520,150

First-round and third-round choice

Over $4,520,150 to $6,026,867

First-round, second-round and third-round choice

Over $6,026,867 to $7,533,584

Two first-round choices, one second- and one third-round choice

Over $7,533,584

Four first-round choices

Then this got me wondering wow if Buffalo let Vanek walk when he was offered that 7 year, $7,142,857 per season cap hit offer sheet they would have gotten Two first-round choices, one second- and one third-round choice. So this brings me to my point while looking at this years list of Group 2 free agents I found some very good players that I am surprised have not been tendered offer sheets by other teams. In bold are the “better players” IMO.

ANAHEIM DUCKS

Group 2 FAs: Petri Kontiola, Petteri Wirtanen, James Wisniewski.

ATLANTA THRASHERS

Group 2 FAs: Colby Armstrong, Jordan Lavallee, Scott Lehman, Kari Lehtonen, Grant Lewis, Boris Valabik.

BOSTON BRUINS

Group 2 FAs: Matt Hunwick, Phil Kessel, Kevin Regan.

BUFFALO SABRES

Group 2 FAs: Patrick Kaleta, Clarke MacArthur, Mark Mancari, Andrej Sekera, Drew Stafford, Marek Zagrapan.

CALGARY FLAMES

Group 2 FAs: Dustin Boyd, Kris Chucko.

CAROLINA HURRICANES

Group 2 FAs: Mike Angelidis, Anton Babchuk, Brett Carson, Bryan Rodney, Tuomo Ruutu.

CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS

Group 2 FAs: Bryan Bickell.

COLORADO AVALANCHE
(no-one)

COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS

Group 2 FAs: Michael Blunden, Dan LaCosta, Marc Methot, Alexandre Picard, Alexander Svitov.

DALLAS STARS

Group 2 FAs: Mark Fistric.

DETROIT RED WINGS

Group 2 FAs: Jiri Hudler (also see NHL leaving douche bag), Evan McGrath, Ryan Oulahen.

EDMONTON OILERS

Group 2 FAs: Gilbert Brule, Devan Dubnyk, Denis Grebeshkov, Colin McDonald, Ryan Potulny, Liam Reddox, Rob Schremp, Ladislav Smid, Ryan Stone.

FLORIDA PANTHERS

Group 2 FAs: David Brine.

LOS ANGELES KINGS

Group 2 FAs: Drew Bagnall, Brady Murray, Joe Piskula, Ted Purcell.

MINNESOTA WILD

Group 2 FAs: Kyle Brodziak, Robbie Earl, Josh Harding, Danny Irmen, Benoit Pouliot, Clayton Stoner.

MONTREAL CANADIENS

Group 2 FAs: Shawn Belle, Matt D'Agostini, Guillaume Latendresse, Tomas Plekanec, Gregory Stewart.

NASHVILLE PREDATORS

Group 2 FAs: Ryan Jones, Ryan Maki, Cal O'Reilly, Antti Pihlstrom, Kelsey Wilson.

NEW JERSEY DEVILS

Group 2 FAs: Patrick Davis, Mark Fraser, Petr Vrana, Travis Zajac.

NEW YORK ISLANDERS

Group 2 FAs: Jeremy Colliton, Blake Comeau, Trevor Smith, Nate Thompson.

NEW YORK RANGERS

Group 2 FAs: Ryan Callahan, Brandon Dubinsky, Lauri Korpikoski, Corey Potter, Nikolai Zherdev.

OTTAWA SENATORS

Group 2 FAs: Brian Elliott, Mattias Karlsson, Derek Smith.

PHILADELPHIA FLYERS

Group 2 FAs: Ryan Dingle(berry) (Yes, I had to do it), Jared Ross, Danny Syvret.

PHOENIX COYOTES

Group 2 FAs: Nigel Dawes, Sami Lepisto, Enver Lisin, Alexander Nikulin, Dave Spina, Sean Sullivan, Josh Tordjman, Scottie Upshall, Daniel Winnik, Keith Yandle.

PITTSBURGH PENGUINS

Group 2 FAs: John Curry, Ben Lovejoy, Tim Wallace.

ST. LOUIS BLUES

Group 2 FAs: Jonathan Filewich, Chris Holt, Roman Polak, Steve Wagner.

SAN JOSE SHARKS

Group 2 FAs: Thomas Greiss, Brad Staubitz.

TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING

Group 2 FAs: Blair Jones, Martins Karsums, Matt Lashoff, Mike Lundin, Karri Ramo, Matt Smaby, Radek Smolenak, Lauri Tukonen.

TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS

Group 2 FAs: Darryl Boyce, Alex Foster, Ryan Hamilton, Justin Pogge, Tim Stapleton.

VANCOUVER CANUCKS

Group 2 FAs: Jannik Hansen, Nathan McIver, Kyle Wellwood.

WASHINGTON CAPITALS

Group 2 FAs: Chris Bourque, Eric Fehr, Boyd Gordon, Milan Jurcina, Shaone Morrisonn, Steven Pinizzotto, Jeff Schultz, Kyle Wilson.

Talk amongst yourselves and debate on who, if anyone, you could see the Rangers targeting. Also I would like to hear from you guys on who you think would get tendered an offer sheet by any team.

(Note: all Quoted work "borrowed" from NHL.com)