FanPost

Rangers Interested in Anton Babchuk?

Recently Anton Babchuk the 25 year old RFA defenseman from the Carolina Hurricanes turned down the 1 million dollar salary offer he was given for next year.  He gave an interview in Russia about the situation and Beyond the Blueshirts has a translation of that full interview.

Who are among the contenders for [your services]?

- Jay has informed me that seven or eight NHL teams have shown interest in my services.  Among them, for example, are the Rangers and Vancouver.  So I look to my future with optimism.

He also talks about how while the KHL is an option he prefers to stay in the NHL.

- Have you excluded the possibility of continuing your career in Russia?

- It’s impossible to exclude anything.  But, to tell you the truth, I would like to continue my career in the NHL.  As a result, I’ll insist that the minimal term of my future contract be three years.  If I leave for Russia at this time, Carolina will also lose.  Because in two years I’ll have turned 27 years old and will become an unrestricted free agent.  Thus, the Hurricanes will not receive any compensation for my next transfer to another NHL club. Therefore the best option for Carolina now, if they are not prepared to raise my salary, is simply to trade me.

Babchuk would certainly solve a problem we have a pp qb as he scored 15 goals on the power play last season with his huge shot.  He also has a huge frame and some nasty physicality to his game which our D crew could always use.  Now his skating is not the best, but if he is paired with a more defensive minded partner who can skate that can be covered up for to a large extent.  Babchuk also does a very good job of blocking shots and appears as i didnt see Carolina all that often to have taken a step forward with his defensive game as well this year.

I think this would be an excellent move to consider for the rangers if they can get him, depending obviously on the cost, but the bigger issue is the salary cap because unless we move Rozy there is not enough money to bring in a player like Babchuk because i believe if Barker gets 3 million then Babchuk especially with his goal scoring easily is worth 2.5 million a year.