Ranger News: Mike Sullivan to be Rangers Assistant Coach

From our friend Steve Zipay over at Newsday, Mike Sullivan is to join the Rangers. Here is the entire story:

The long-awaited deal for John Tortorella's former assistant coach, Mike Sullivan, to join the Rangers is complete and is expected to be announced Thursday, according to a source.

As mentioned on the Blue Notes live chat today, we expected it to happen since the end of the season.
Sullivan, who was on the bench with Tortorella in Tampa, had been under contract with the Lightning through June 30, and Rangers brass were told not to comment.

He played college hockey at Boston University and was drafted 67th overall by the Rangers in 1987 and played 11 years in the NHL.

As the Bruins head coach in 2003, he posted a 41-19-15-7 record, 104 points and a first place finish in the Northeast Division, but after struggling in subsequent seasons, was axed in June 2006. The Massachusetts native will be the Rangers associate coach.

No surprise here, everyone knew this was going to happen it was just a matter of time. There was thoughts that this would have happened last year when Tortorella was hired, but it never panned out. Sullivan is Tortorella's right hand man so you know that he will fit the system. I personally like the tandem, do you?

(Note: No picture of Sullivan so take one of Tortorella instead.)