New York Rangers Spotlight: Wade Redden

wade redden rangers

At season's end, Rob did an analysis of each player on the roster, and gave some thoughts on what lies ahead for each one. Since so many of you are new to Blueshirt Banter, we thought we would bring some of those profiles to you again. Today we have Rob's look at Wade Redden:

#6 - Wade Redden (Age: 31) - Grade: C

Glen Sather paid Wade Redden $307,692.31 per point he scored this regular season. His point total dropped for the third season in a row to 26, and only added 3 goals all season. He accumulated a -5 rating, and confirmed all reports that he is having major troubles adjusting to the new pace of the NHL since the lockout.

Redden improved his play in the playoffs, which was a nice surprise and encouraging. Hopefully in new head coach John Tortorella's more aggressive system next season, Redden could find some old form and earn some of his ridiculous contract money.

Final thought from Jim: There is some opinion that Redden was a bad fit from the beginning with Tom Renney's system, and that his play will be improved under Tortorella, as it was after the coaching change. Redden is going to need to get off to a solid start this season, or the Garden will turn on him quickly, and it will force the Rangers to make some very tough decisions.

Contract Info: (if you don't know this by heart, where have you been for the last year?) Redden is signed through 2013 for $6.5M a year. To put that in perspective, my 2 year old will be in 2nd grade when this contract expires.