Rangers News: Avangard Omsk team doctors cleared in death of Alexei Cherepanov

via explicitlyme.files.wordpress.com

According to a report from the Associated Press, the team doctors for Avangard Omsk of the KHL are not to blame for the death of Ranger prospect Alexei Cherapanov.

The full story from AP is here.

A few pieces from the story:

Cherepanov, a first-round New York Rangers draft pick in 2007, died after collapsing on the bench during an Oct. 13 game in Chekhov, a small city outside Moscow. Authorities say an autopsy showed he suffered from myocarditis, a condition that obstructed blood flow to his heart and other organs.

The committee said medical experts suspect Cherepanov felt unwell because of his condition but hid the fact from team doctors for fear of being pulled from games.

"Avangard team doctors not only could not have diagnosed Cherepanov with chronic myocarditis while he was living, but could not have even suspected it," the statement said. It said detailed annual checkups since 2002 revealed no heart or circulation problems.