Rangers News: Rangers trade Brian Fahey to Colorado for Nigel Williams (Update)

From the Avalanche website:

The Colorado AvalancheHockey Club announced today that it has acquired defenseman Brian Fahey from the New York Rangersin exchange for defenseman Nigel Williams.

Fahey, 28, recorded 24 points (4g/20a) in 66 games with the Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL) in 2008-09. The 6-foot-1, 215-pound blueliner spent the 2007-08 campaign with the AHL’s Chicago Wolves, where he helped lead the club to the Calder Cup title by recording 10 points (2g/8a) in 24 postseason contests.

A native of Glenview, Illinois, Fahey was originally Colorado’s seventh selection (119th overall) in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft. Fahey played collegiately at the University of Wisconsin, where he was named to the WCHA All-Rookie Team in 1999-2000.

Williams, Colorado’s second selection (second round, 51st overall) in the 2006 Entry Draft, totaled 21 points (7g/14a) in 70 games for the Lake Erie Monsters during the 2008-09 campaign.

Nigel Williams

#0 / Defenseman / Colorado Avalanche

6-4

226

Apr 18, 1988

Nigel Williams profile from Hockey's Future:

Talent Analysis (from HF)

Williams possesses a big 6'4 225 lb frame. He has unusually good puck-handling and skating skills for a player of his size.

mleetch352 put this up in a Fan Post after I put this up, here are his thoughts on the deal:

So here we have another upside young D-man that is still developing and should lot into the group we already have and at some point you have to think with all this prospect stocking on blue line that eventually sather is planning to deal 1 or 2 of these in a bigger deal.  Even if this kid never fills out and develops into the player they thought he might be for Fahey there is absolutely no downside to this deal at least for the NHL level.

Update by Joe Fortunato: Here is what Zipay had to say about this. A few facts that i think got lost in the translation. Very interesting that the Rangers got a player who is 7 years younger. I wonder why the Avs wanted Fayhe, a career AHL player.

The Rangers do get younger, though.
Williams, the property of Colorado, is a 21-year-old prospect who played for AHL Lake Erie. Fahey is 28.
Williams, 7-14-21 in 70 games, has size at 6-4, 226 and skated with the U.S. National Under-18 Development Team during the 2005-06 season, registering three goals and four assists for seven points, along with 23 penalty minutes in 19 games. He's from Aurora, Ill and was Colorado's second round choice, 51st overall, in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. I'll bet Avalanche fans are grumpy.
Fahey has pretty much been an AHLer for the past six years. He appeared in 66 games with the Hartford Wolf Pack last season, collecting four goals and 20 assists. His two best seasons statistically were with the Chicago Wolves before joining the Pack.

Oh well, Sather is really wheeling and dealing the prospects. You're thoughts?