Ranger News: Rangers Sign Sam Klassen

via farm4.static.flickr.com

This just in from New York Ranger world. From the Rangers official website the team has agreed to terms with Sam Klassen, a WHL stay at home defenseman. Here is some of the highlights from the site:

Klassen, 20, skated in 72 games with the Saskatoon Blades of the Western Hockey League (WHL) last season, registering two goals and 18 assists for 20 points, along with 92 penalty minutes. He established career-highs in games played, goals and plus-minus rating (plus-27). Klassen ranked fourth among team defensemen in assists and fifth in points.  He also finished fourth on the club with 92 penalty minutes, while his plus-27 rating ranked seventh on the Blades.

The Watrous, Saskatchewan native recorded a season-high, three-game assist streak from November 22 against Brandon to November 30 at Prince George, collecting six assists over the span.  Klassen tied his career-high for most assists in a game with three assists in the final game of the streak.  In addition, he recorded one assist and 10 penalty minutes in seven postseason contests with Saskatoon.

Well here comes another defensive prospect. As Jim just told me "the defensive dorms in training camp is going to be quite full." And now for you're entertainment here is a video of Klassen and Brian Sommers exchanging haymakers in an awesome fight. (Klassen is in white)

And here is Klassen ruining a forward's existence with an unbelievable hit: