New York Rangers Spotlight: Sean Avery

At season's end, Rob did an analysis of each player on the roster, and gave some thoughts on what lies ahead for each one. Since so many of you are new to Blueshirt Banter, we thought we would bring some of those profiles to you again. Today we have Rob's look at Sean Avery:

#16 - Sean Avery (Age: 29) - Grade: B-

 Avery will play his first full season with the Rangers starting next fall since 2007-2008 when he netted 33 points in 57 games. In his 18 games with the Rangers in 2009, he had 12 points; 5 of which were goals and 2 of those on the Power-Play. Everyone knows the Rangers record is ridiculously better with Sean in the lineup, so next season will be interesting. He and coach John Tortorella have spoken out and said they are comfortable with each other and look forward to next season, which is great as long as it holds true. I thought Avery did his job this season; and although he hurt the Rangers a couple of times with stupid penalties he is still an asset who the Rangers need to set the pace night in and night out.

Final Thoughts from Jim:

I think we can expect good things from Sean Avery this season. He is where he wants to be, in the city he loves, playing for a coach that he (apparently) loves playing for and understands what is expected from him. Although Avery clicked best last season with the now departed Scott Gomez, I think Avery will be able to find success with one of the remaining centers on the Rangers roster.

Contract status:

Avery is signed through the end of the 2011-2012 season.