FanPost

Zherdev's Arbitration Situation By The Numbers

Originally posted at PuckCentral.net

Today is Nik Zherdev's arbitration hearing. The Rangers have offered Zherdev a qualifying offer of around $3.25M, which has been rejected by Zherdev.

It is rumored that Zherdev wants at least $4M per season and from the interviews that he's done this summer (here & here) it seems that he and his agent are very confident that they will get the number that they want. I decided to take a look at the players last season who produced similar to Zherdev (58 points) who are in the same age range. Milan Michaelk, David Booth and Travis Zajac all signed their contracts this summer. These three players have the highest cap hits from the players that I compared Zherdev to, but they all signed contracts that are at least four years in length.

[Click here to enlarge]
When looking at the above list of players, who would you prefer Zherdev over? Other than Zajac and Weiss, I would take any one of those players over Zherdev - but maybe that's just me.