FanPost

Rangers Video: Evgeny Grachev Highlights

This video was just posted by battalionmedia on YouTube on June 26, 2009. You'll have the option for High Quality (HQ) once you start the video.

 Battalionmedia provides this video discription -

Many people have been asking me for this.
So here is a best of Evgeny Grachev compilation for the 2008-2009 OHL season.

In this season Grachev set a new Battalion club record for most points in a season by a rookie, beating the old club record set by Jason Spezza back in the 1998-99 season.
Grachev also took home OHL Rookie of the Year Honours.

The video starts with Grachev's first OHL goal and ends with his final OHL goal which clinched the Battalion the Eastern Conference Title.

Enjoy him Rangers fans!

Personally I appreciate this video because I haven't ever seen him play. All I knew was that he is a top prospect that had an outstanding OHL rookie season this past year (40g-40a-80pts in 60 games). Come to find out, Grachev broke two previous Brampton Battalion records - Raffi Torres previous record of 35 goals, and, as quoted earlier, Jason Spezza's previous record of 71 points. He finished Fifth in the OHL for goals scored and 13th in points. Grachev went on to score 11 goals and 14 assists for 25 points in 19 playoff games. He wrapped it all up by taking the OHL Rookie of the Year award as stated earlier.

How does he feel about this? He humbled himself by saying he started the season at 18 years old where most players are 16 or 17. Despite this, he performed very well, and even seemingly had a slow start that he was coached out of by Brampton's head coach Stan Butler. Grachev was able to proudly say his English very much improved after having no Russians on the team for him to communicate with. He even typed a few blog entries to fans in English here.

Rangers fans on YouTube are already speculating on his hockey career. Will his NHL debut possibly come next year - the 2009-2010 season? Some fans speculate that maybe a European line of Grachev - Anisimov - Zherdev would be "sick". Another hopes to see a 4th line of Grachev - Anisimov - Brashear. Some see some of Jagr in Grachev's goals. Other's see Malkin or Kovalchuk with his quick release. One user responded with, "In my opinion he doesn't shoot hard enough to be like Kovalchuk, or playmake like Malkin at all. He's more a speedster stick handling winger, who can break down a defense and get pucks deep. Think Bure or Fedorov."

One thing is certain - this 19 year old is fun to watch and definately provides us with a good hope for our future.