FanPost

Rangers News: Nikolai Zherdev Arbitration Ruling

Zherdev according to Andrew Gross of Ranger Rants, http://njmg.typepad.com/rangersblog/, was awarded 3.9 million for one year by the arbitrator .

The results of Nikolai Zherdev's arbitration hearing on Friday are in: the Rangers found out today that the arbitrator has set the one-year contract at $3.9 million. Of course, the Rangers, who qualified the mercurial - and often disinterested - Zherdev at $3.25 million have every right to walk away from the ruling, which would make Zherdev an unrestricted free agent just about a year after he was acquired from the Columbus Blue Jackets for a package that included defenseman Fedor Tyutin.

The Rangers have 48 hours to decide. Most likely, their decision on the matter was made in advance. That being, they have no interest in spending $3.9 million for Zherdev, though they could agree to the contract, then trade him to get value back for what, in theory, should be a valuable commodity around the NHL - a wing with scoring potential.

Zherdev was reportedly seeking a contract worth $4.5 million, or thereabouts.