FanPost

Grachev in NHL or AHL this season

According to both Beyond the Blueshirts and OHL Prospects the Rangers have informed Brampton that his time in Junior hockey is over.

Brampton Battalion
In theory, the Battalion should have been able to return quite the squad this year. Cody Hodgson, Matt Duchene, and Evgeni Grachev are all eligible to return to the OHL. However, all are longshots at best to return. Hodgson and Duchene will most certainly be in the NHL, while Grachev will be in the NHL or AHL (with the Rangers already informing Brampton he won't be returning to them). That means a forward unit lead by 1992 Sam Carrick, and the underrated Scott Tanski. Not exactly a scary thought for the opposition. Stan Butler and company are likely in for a long rebuilding season.

emphasis was mine.

Personally with the way that Grachev developed in his one year under Stan Butler I would not have minded him getting another year of domination there, but knowing the Ranger track record of making most prospects spend a year at Hartford anyway and the diminished roster he would be playing with if Hodgson and Duchene are gone this is not a bad move for his development.  I still dont believe he should be up this year, just let him develop for another year or at least until January and if he is utterly dominating in Hartford and our offense is struggling bring him up for a spark.  The problem is with all the wingers we have signed I dont want him up here unless he is going to get significant time as a top 9 forward.  To bring him or Artem for that matter up to be a 4th liner is a waste.  I have to wonder if with the Sundin rumor yesterday and this news if there is a thought to let Artem and Grachev play together in Hartford to start the season.