FanPost

The Rangers AHL Affiliates...the Hartford Whalers?????

Yeah you read it right, the New York Rangers site lists the Hartford Whalers as their affiliate team. Yes I know it is the Wolfpack and the Whalers, now the Carolina Hurricanes, are a done team. but it is still quite funny. The article also confirms what we already knew...

A group of 22 prospects will represent the Rangers next month at the annual Traverse City (Mich.) Prospects Tournament, which the Blueshirts won in 2007.

Michael Del Zotto is headed back to Traverse City with the Rangers prospects.

Sixteen of the 22 members of the 2009 roster are players whose NHL rights are currently owned by the Rangers. Ten players are Rangers draftees from the past two years, while six others have already signed their first NHL contracts with the team.

The remaining six players are either under contract to the Hartford Whalers, the Rangers' AHL affiliate, or players who are being monitored on a tryout basis.

Fifteen of the 22 players participated in the Rangers' annual Prospect Development Camp earlier this summer. This includes 2009 draft picks Ethan Werek, Ryan Bourque, Scott Stajcer and Daniel Maggio. Roman Horak, the team's 2009 fourth-round pick out of the Czech Republic, will also go to Traverse City in preparation for his first full season in North America.

Defenseman Michael Del Zotto, the Rangers' 2008 first-round pick and forward Evgeny Grachev, who won the Ontario Hockey League's Rookie of the Year Award last season after being taken in the third round of the 2008 draft, will be returning to the tournament along with forwards Justin Soryal and Dale Weise, who both played for the Wolf Pack last season. Tysen Dowzak, a defenseman who spent most of last season in the WHL, is also back from the 2008 team.

Here is a look at the complete Rangers schedule and roster:

2009 Traverse City Prospects Tournament

RANGERS SCHEDULE
Day Date Opponent Time
Sunday Sept. 6
Rangers vs. Carolina 3 p.m.
Monday Sept. 7
Rangers vs. Atlanta 3 p.m.
Wednesday Sept. 9
Rangers vs. Detroit 7 p.m.
Thursday Sept. 10
Placement Game TBD
2009 NY RANGERS TRAVERSE CITY PROSPECTS TOURNAMENT ROSTER
Forwards
No. Player POS. HT WT Age 2008-09 Team (League)
63 Daniel Bartek C 6-3 195 20 Everett (WHL)
60 Ryan Bourque C 5-9 175 18 USA Under-18 Team
57 Chris Chappell LW 6-4 209 21 Saginaw (OHL)
58 Paul Crowder C 6-3 202 24 Alaska-Anchorage (WCHA); Hartford (AHL)
56 Craig Cunningham LW 5-9 175 19 Vancouver (WHL)
59 Evgeny Grachev C 6-4 220 19 Brampton (OHL)
64 Roman Horak C 6-0 189 18 Ceske-Budejovice (Czech)
67 Luke Pither C 6-0 183 20 Guelph-Belleville (OHL)
53 Justin Soryal LW 6-2½ 209 22 Hartford (AHL)
55 Luke Walker RW 6-2 175 19 Portland (WHL)
65 Dale Weise RW 6-2 206 21 Hartford (AHL)
61 Ethan Werek C 6-1 199 18 Kingston (OHL)
Defensemen
47 Mike Berube D 6-0 215 21 Vancouver (WHL)
43 Michael Del Zotto D 6-0½ 191 19 Oshawa-London (OHL)
48 Tysen Dowzak D 6-5 226 21 Kelowna (WHL); Hart. (AHL); Charl. (ECHL)
51 Mitch Gaulton D 5-11 206 19 Erie (OHL)
70 Trevor Glass D 6-0 187 21 Spokane (WHL)
72 Sam Klassen D 6-2 199 20 Saskatoon (WHL)
46 Tomas Kundratek D 6-2 190 19 Medicine Hat (WHL); Hartford (AHL)
52 Daniel Maggio D 6-2½ 205 18 Sudbury (OHL)
Goaltenders
96 Chad Johnson G 6-3 200 23 Alaska-Fairbanks (CCHA)
94 Scott Stajcer G 6-3 195 18

<!--Session data-->

Owen Sound (OHL)