FanPost

Rangers News: Rangers Talking to Seidenberg UPDATE

Note from Joe Fortunato: Man the Ranger news is flying in today! Here is another rumor this time brought to us by Nick!

Steve Zipay of Blue Notes has translated a German article which held an interview with 28 year-old defenseman, Dennis Seidenberg. The 6-1, 210 pound blue-liner is currently an unrestricted free agent, after recording 5 goals and 25 assists for 30 points in 70 games played with the Carolina Hurricanes last season. Here is the quote from Dennis:

"concrete are the discussions at present with the Florida Panthers and the New York Ranger. My agent spoke with both clubs about the running time of the contract. I would have gladly a three-year contract."

The Rangersare supposedly offering a one-year deal to Seidenberg, just as they did with Francis Bouillon earlier in the month.

Right now, with the departure of Paul Mara and Derek Morris, there are two open roster spots on the Blueshirt defense. The top contenders for those two spots are Bobby Sanguinetti, Matt Gilroy, and Mike Del Zotto. I am starting to get the feeling that the Rangers feel that one of those three is not quite ready for the NHL level, therefore it would make sense to bring in a Seidenberg or Bouillon. Seidenberg would be a solid addition to the Blueshirt back end, especially at the price we would acquire him at, since he was only paid $1.2 million with the Carolina Hurricans in 2008-09.

 -Nick (rangerstribune.com)

UPDATE From Joe Fortunato:

Here is what Zipay had to say about Seidenberg in his most recent post. Maybe the Rangers aren't content for having two rookies on D after all:

The Good-  Seidenberg brings a nice offensive touch and is a very good option at the point on the powerplay.  He has an above average shot.  As mentioned above, he's an excellent shot blocker and can play a physical game.

The Bad-  He can find himself out of position at times and has usually been a minus player throughout his career.  (This season he was -9 in 70 games and was -5 in the playoffs)  He might also be a health concern, perhaps because of the way he plays the game.  (This season's 70 games are the mosthe has played in one season since his AHL days)

The Money-  The Hurricanes signed the defenseman to a one year, 1.2 million dollar contract last year,  He is an unrestricted free agent this offseason and will be free to sign with any team on or after July 1st.  He has certainly played well enough to deserve a raise, but that might very well mean Carolina will have to pass on him.  The Canes are high on prospects Bryan Rodney, Casey Borer, and Brett Carson.  With Gleason, Pitkanen, Wallin, Corvo, and Kaberle already under contract, that doesn't leave much room for the prospects unless the team can get creative with how to deal with Kaberle.