FanPost

Trade Ideas Zherdev and Rozi

With the Zherdev ruling out of the way, but the decision yet to come from Sather and the Rangers I figured I would take a look at some of the possible moves the Rangers could make going forward.  The consensus I gather last night was not to let Z walk for nothing but rather to accept the 3.9 million and attempt to trade him.  There is the idea that a talented player like Nik would add value in trying to dump a player like Rozi and that might be true, but might also lower what we could get in return for Z.

In thinking of moving Zherdev the 1 for 1 type deal that makes the most sense to me is with Carolina who cant seem to come to terms with Babchuk.  I dont really like the idea of having Nik still in the East, but the value added of Babchuk makes it much more palatable to do because he gives us the giant shot from the point that we have been lacking, especially on the pp where he scored 9 goals and added 6 assists.  In the end if that went down it would make the trades basically be Tyutin for Babchuk.  I am not entirely sure that Carolina would be interested in Z, so not sure if this has any real feasibility.  If the Rangers did pull this one off, sign him for approx 3 mil and resign dubi for a deal that is 2 mil vs the cap they would still have about 500K in cap room the way i built the roster on capgeek even with Rozi still here.

That said i know most of us in here would like to move Rozi's contract and with Babchuk more than replacing his production it frees up a move of Rozi if the Rangers are truly comfortable using two non-nhlers from last year most likely Gilroy and 1 other.  In looking to move Rozi I was most looking at offensive players and for the most part players that are either still prospects or havent quite broken through to this point and filtering that through teams i thought might have an interest either through need or ranger connections.

Dallas has a need to replace Zubov and his point play.  Fabian Brunnstrom and Jamie Benn are the best prospects but would almost assuredly cost Sangs as well and i have no problem with that due to our depth in D prospects and need for more offensive upside prospects.

Edmonton has a ranger connection in Tom Renney now being there to be an assistant coach.  They have 1 proven player in Patrick O'Sullivan who would be an excellent get for us and would immediately be in contention to center Gaborik.  If the Rangers pulled off a move like this I could see moving Drury out to the wing and going with O'Sullivan, Dubi and Artem as the top 3 centers.  Two other players with edmonton that are talented but havent put it together are Gilbert Brule and Rob Schremp.  Both of these guys are talented but smaller players but with some excellent skill.  We all know how much Sather loves to trade for high picks that havent worked out for other clubs as well.  Both Brule and Schremp are RFA's.  Last player in the edmonton system that i would look at would be Riley Nash who was their 1st rounder in 07 who has been at Cornell the last couple years and it probably a 2nd line center in the future.

The Kings probably arent a natural fit to want a player like Rozi but they have been making moves to try and win now trading for an older player like Ryan Smyth and Rozi would give them another veteran defensive presence as Scuderi is to go with all those young potential studs they have.  Players in their system Oscar Moller though he probably isnt available and Andrei Loktionov the young russian center who slipped last year over concerns he would stay in Russian.

Finally there is our constant trading partner, the coyotes.  This is more out there because Maloney seems to be in love with the players that were drafted while he was here not necessarily the vets that were here and we all know phoenix is cheap so chances of them taking Rozi are probably low.  Obvious targets as far as prospects Viktor Tikhonov and Brett MacLean.  Young player like Hanzal would be an excellent move as i figure Mueller and Boedeker are off limits.

Just some ideas for young players that have upside but to this point have either not reached where they can go or have not been given chances in the NHL yet.  As i said for some of these i would give up some of our defensive prospects (and or picks) as we have a slight glut there and a dearth of offensive ones that will be ready in the next two years other than Artem this year and probably Grachev next year.  There is also a dearth of top 6 prospects other than those two with Stepan being the most likely other than those.