FanPost

What Nik Zherdev's arbitration means for the Rangers.

Its been all over the news recently that Nikolai Zherdev has received a 1 year 3.9 million contract from going to arbitration.  This was a fair ruling in my opinion because the Rangers were looking to somewhere around 3.3 million, while Zherdev was looking towards upward to 4.5 million.  This ruling then was right smack dab in the middle of both sides.

Well what does this ruling mean for the Rangers?  Glen Sather has a few options right here.  He can:

1. Sign Zherdev to this offer.

2. Sign Zherdev, but then proceed to trade him to another team.

3. Let Zherdev walk and let him become an Unrestricted Free Agent.

Now I know as a man who doesn't usually let an asset like this go for nothing (maybe he gets traded to Ottawa for Heatly), so I highly doubt the Rangers choose number three.  Also, over 300 people voted in the last poll saying they think Zherdev is REALLY that important to this team (it was very close though).  Another thing to consider is Brandon Dubinsky.  He has yet to sign a contract.  I think if the Rangers sign Zherdev that they will give Dubinsky a smaller contract, so the Rangers can stay under the cap, and then give him an extension after January like we did for Henrik Lundqvist a few years ago.

In the end I think the Rangers will keep Zherdev, but Sather is the magician of trades in this league, so anything can happen.

What do you guys think Sather will do with Zherdev?