FanPost

Cherepanov Memorial Trophy

As we all know our top prospect Alexei Cherepanov passed away during a game in the KHL. If you do not know much about it click here and read more about it. In case you do not want to click the link I'll post a bit of it...

New York Rangers prospect Alexei Cherepanov died during a game in his native Russia on Monday.  He was 19.

Cherepanov collapsed on the bench during Omsk's Kontinental Hockey League game and died a short time later. Omsk head coach Wayne Fleming said Cherepanov collapsed during the third period of the game and did not see anything that happened on the ice that may have contributed to it. He also said medical authorities tried to get Cherepanov's heart beating again after it had stopped.

"They tried to get his heart started again but they couldn't," he explained.

This brings me to my point, while searching through hfboards.com I came upon something I found very interesting, the "Cherepanov Memorial Trophy". This trophy is awarded to the leagues top rookie, basically the NHL's Calder Trophy. I thought it was a great gesture from the KHL to do something like this.

I also found it interesting that in the hfboard discussion about who will win the trophy, our last round pick, Mikhail Pahsnin, is listed. To see the discussion over at hfboards click here.

(If this was already common knowledge to you all I apologize but it is something I just came across and thought it nice to share with you all)