FanPost

NHL News: Theo Fleury wants back in the NHL...

Yeah you read that correctly all 5'6 of Theo Fleury wants back in the NHL. This article, provided by tsn.ca/nhl gives their take on Theo...

Sources tell TSN Theoren Fleury is attempting a comeback and wants to play in the NHL again.

After playing senior hockey last season, Fleury decided in February he was fit enough to give the NHL another try, so he hired a personal trainer and has been working diligently since.

Those close to him say he didn't leave the National Hockey League the way he wanted, which is fueling his desire to return.

The 41-year-old has been sober for almost four years and has been skating daily in Calgary in the hope that an NHL team is willing to invite him to training camp.

Interest in the former Stanley Cup champion won't be enough to clear the way for Fleury's return.  He remains under indefinite suspension and would first have to be approved by the NHL and the NHLPA's Substance Abuse programs doctors before reinstatement would be considered.

Sources say Fleury recently sent NHL commissioner Gary Bettman a letter acknowledging his comeback bid and has also discussed the possibility with the leagues doctors.

At 5' 6,'' Fleury was one of the smallest players in hockey. Intense and fearless, Fleury made a name for himself for more than his stature. He could score, play defensively and lead teams to championships in junior hockey, in the NHL and on the international stage.

Now here is where you all come in. Theo Fleury left the NHL with 1,088 points in 1,084 games. in his time with the Rangers he scored 138 points in 142 games. If he gets the invite to training camp, supposing he is allowed back, do you see him fitting in Torts system? Do you think he still has what it takes to compete at the NHL Level? Do we give him a one year contract and let the kids develop one more year? Have it ladies and gentlemen.