Rangers Prospects: Rangers defeat Red Wings 4-3 in Traverse City Tournament

Press Release from the New York Rangers:

Nyr_medium

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 - New York Rangers 4, Detroit Red Wings 3

  • The New York Rangers prospects defeated the Detroit Red Wings prospects, 4-3, on Wednesday, September 9, at the 2009 Traverse City (Michigan) Prospects Tournament. The Rangers improved to 2-1-0 in the tournament to finish in a tie atop the Eastern Division, and advance to the third place game.
  • The Rangers pulled out a four-goal lead through the second period, despite being out-shot, 23-21, over the span.
  • The Blueshirts prospects went five-for-six on the penalty kill to improve to 16-for-17 overall in the tournament.
  • Defenseman Mitch Gaulton tallied a game-high, two assists, both coming in the middle frame. Gaulton was the Rangers' sixth round choice, 171st overall, in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
  • Rangers' 2009 draft picks, Ethan Werek (second round, 47th overall) and Ryan Bourque (third round, 80th overall), teamed up for a second period goal to give the Blueshirt prospects a three-goal advantage. Werek and Bourque have both registered one goal and two assists apiece in three tournament contests.
  • Rangers' prospects Captain, Dale Weise, recorded a team-high, six shots on net. Weise was the Rangers' fourth round choice, 111th overall, in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft.
  • Justin Soryal recorded one assist and three shots on net in the contest. Soryal originally signed with the Rangers as a free agent on March 12, 2008.
  • Chad Johnson, acquired from Pittsburgh in exchange for a 2009 fifth round selection (Andy Bathgate) on June 27, 2009, stopped 32 of 35 shots in net for the Rangers.
  • The New York Rangers prospects return to action tomorrow, September 10, when they will face-off against the St. Louis Blues prospects for third place in the tournament. The game will begin at 6:00 p.m. on Centre ICE 1 in Traverse City, Michigan.

- more -

Director of Player Personnel, Gordie Clark, on Chad Johnson:

"He was excellent once again.  Chad was very sharp tonight, stopping 20 top scoring chances.  One of those saves was a penalty shot by Johan Ryno (of Detroit) that never had a chance of getting by him."

On Justin Soryal:

"He made the two best passes of the game.  On the first, he hit Ethan (Werek) perfectly on stride driving to the net.  The second sprung (Luke) Walker loose with a rink-wide pass to the right wing."