Rangers Training Camp Updates: Alexei Semenov invited to camp, Gaborik sits

From Andrew Gross at Ranger Rants:

Veteran defenseman Alexei Semenov, who spent parts of the last two seasons with the Sharks and has also played for the Panthers, has joined camp on a tryout invitation and is on the ice today for the 45-lap endurance skate.

Haven't seen him skate yet but I can report he's tall, about 6-5. The Rangers were looking for a veteran who could compete for that sixth or seventh blue-line spot, a la Jason Strudwick. Kyle McLaren was originally invited but was forced to bow out due to injury.

And a few things from Andrew off the "tweets":

Enver Lisin on Torts "encouraging" players as they skate: "It helps because on the ice you are out of your mind."

No Marian Gaborik on the ice for the second straight day. Like yesterday, probably a wise move.

Ilkka Heikkinen acquits himself well in endurance skate, lapping others. Finnish D-man has decent shot at roster spot.

More later if anything comes up.