Breaking NHL News: Wayne Gretzky steps down as Coyotes coach

The "Great Experiment" in Phoenix has come to a miserable end, as TSN is reporting that Wayne Gretzky has stepped down as coach, amid all the uncertainty surrounding the franchise. The signs were on the wall, 99 wasn't in camp with the team, former Ranger Ulf Samuelsson was running the team, and had recently hired a new assistant coach.

"This was a difficult decision that I've thought long and hard about," Gretzky said in a statement. "We all hoped there would be a resolution earlier this month to the Coyotes ownership situation, but the decision is taking longer than expected.  Since both remaining bidders have made it clear that I don't fit into their future plans, I approached General Manger Don Maloney and suggested he begin looking for someone to replace me as coach.  Don has worked hard and explored many options.  I think he has made an excellent choice, and so now it's time for me to step aside.