Likely only partly surprised, Fleury will hold a press conference Monday to talk about his future, as to whether he will retire or continue his endeavor to return to the NHL. "I need a couple of days." He last played in April 2003.

He gave a spirited comeback and proved that he can likely still compete at the NHL level.

UPDATE - Seems Fleury was released because the bar set for him was a bit too high. GM Darryl Sutter said he was only interested in keeping Fleury if  he could "be one of our top six wingers..." There were no AHL intentions for him at all.

Monday, September 28, 2009

UPDATE - Fleury announces retirement, wanting to stay a Calgary Flame forever. "I could not sign with another team. I retire a Calgary Flame." Theo Fleury ends his NHL career with 455G 633A - 1,088pts in 1,084 games. (830 points in 791 games on Calgary - making him second on the Flames' all-time scoring list)

Retirement Story Source - TSN

Story Source - TSN Image Source - RDMD Hockey