FanPost

Does the shootout work? Other rule changes.

There is pole on the official Rangers site asking for your opinion on the shootout.  I'm curious at what others here think of it and what you would like to see changed.

My opinion is get rid of it.  While it is exciting to watch I don't think it proves anything.  Awarding points for going into overtime just makes teams play for a tie.  If a team thinks they have a better chance in the shootout they play OT save.  The urgency the leaguee was encouraging just isn't there.

My thought is get rid of the shootout.  If there is a tie after the third period a 1 minute break.  Put 5 men on the ice for overtime.  Make the OT 10 minutes long sudden death.  A loss in OT is a loss -  no point.  A tie after OT gets you a point.

Extra note... get rid of the trapezoid