FanPost

If There was an All-Star Game This Year

With the Olympics occurring this year there is no All-Star Game.  That begs the question.  What would the all-star teams for the two conferences look?  I'm doing this as subjectively as I can.  So here are what I think the all-star teams would look like for both conferences.  (Note: I am doing this by who deserves to be there, not who would be voted there).   Of course, I am not going to be able to fit everyone in.  So if you think that I snubbed someone more deserving let me know who and why.

The Eastern Conference

      First of all this was very difficult.  I tried to not choose more than two players from any team.  There is at least one member from each team.

Centers

Sidney Crosby - Let's be honest, he is the only reason they are doing so well.  Fleury isn't a wall, Malkin is not producing like he has.  Without Sid the Kid they would have a much worse record.

Eric Staal - He has 30 points in 33 games.  'Nough said.  Obviously the best player for Carolina and the only one that in my opinion deserves a nod.

Steven Stamkos - He leads his team in goals and power play goals.  Since the second half of last season, his rookie season, he has been steadily producing at a level similar to the like of the NHL elite.

Mike Fisher - He leads the team in goals and points.  He's great on the faceoff dot.  He is responsible on both ends of the ice.

Left Wings

Alex Ovechkin - It's Ovechkin, need I say more?

Ilya Kovalchuk - All the hubbub around him lately is about his contract and possible trades.  But he is still an elite player even if he is on a dry spell at the moment.

Zach Parise - He leads his team in goals and is just behind Ovechkin for the most shots on goal.  Also an Alternate Captain for Team USA.

John Tavares - The hype was right.  The kid can score goals.  I'm moving him over to left wing because of the abundance of center talent that is out there.

Right Wings

Marian Gaborik - He has been involved in the talks for MVP, Points leader and goal leader all season.

Martin St. Louis - Not the best season for St. Louis but he is helping Stamkos to a great year and in points is the second best RW in the Eastern Conference.

Nathan Horton - The kid is just a beast.  Big and good hands.  Would be a big name if he weren't playing in sunny ol' Miami.

Tomas Plekanec - He is having a career year.  Again moving him over from his natural position at center due to the overabundance of talent in that grouping.

Defense

Andrei Markov - There is little doubt that without Markov Montreal is just not the same team.

Zdeno Chara - It's not another Norris year but he is still playing well.  Definitely the rock for this team that has been without Marc Savard for a lot of the season.

Tobias Enstrom - He is probably the guy many people haven't heard of.  But he is amongst the point leaders on the blue line.

Mike Green - Sometimes I wonder what kind of numbers he would have on a less offensively potent team.  Truth is they would probably still be above average.

Chris Pronger - Solid as solid can be.  He hasn't done exactly what Philly thought he would, i.e. turn them into an automatic contender.  But I don' t think its his fault.

Tomas Kaberle - He is leading his team in points.

Goaltenders

Ryan Miller - Unless he completely collapses or gets hurt Ryan Miller will be a front runner for the Vezina and a contender for the MVP.

Martin Brodeur - He keeps playing like he always has.  Easily one of the best players in the league, as much as it pains me to say that.

Tomas Vokoun - Before there is a complete meltdown from all the Rangers fans here that would want Lundqvist hear me out.  Vokoun is the only reason that the Panthers have had a shot most nights.  He faces the most shots out of any goaltender and has comparable numbers to Brodeur and Lundqvist.

Alternate Goalies

Henrik Lundqvist and Tim Thomas.

Western Conference

Centers

Patrick Marleau - He is going to shatter his previous season best in goals and will have a chance of beating his career best in points.  All at the age of 30.

Henrik Sedin - Raise your hand if you thought that Henrik or Daniel for that matter could still be as good without the other.  No one, thought so.  He is on a torrid pace.

Brad Richards - This is the Brad Richards that everyone knows.  That won the Conn Smythe.

Mikko Koivu - He is quietly leading Minnesota in scoring.

Alternate Centers

Pavel Datysuk, Paul Stastny, and Anze Kopitar

Left Wings

Rick Nash - He is the face of the Columbus franchise and he loves to light it up in the All-Star Game.

Dustin Penner - He's cooled off some from that insane start.  But he is still leading his team in points and goals.

Wojtek Wolski - One of the many surprises from the Colorado team.  Everyone knew the talent was there.  It's about time that he showed it.  At 47 games in he is only 3 points shy of last season's total.

Henrik Zetterberg - 2 points less than Datsyuk for the team lead despite playing 6 less games.

Alternate Left Wing

Ryan Smyth

Right Wings

Patrick Kane - He leads the team in goals and points and is tied for the team lead in assists.

Corey Perry - The most consistent offensive star for the Ducks.  He has been on some seriously long point streaks this season.

Jarome Igilna - How could you not include him?  Seriously?

Patric Hornqvist - No one has had a hotter hand in the last month.

Defense

Dan Boyle - At the midpoint he was the #1 defensemen in point production.  He has since been relieved of that title by...

Duncan Keith - He is 2 points shy of last season's numbers, which also happens to be his career high.  Also if he manages find the back of the net 4 more times this season he will beat his career high in that stat too.

Drew Doughty - The kid is second only to Anze Kopitar on the Kings.  That added to the fact that he is all ready well past his rookie season stats.  He will be a force for years to come.

Shea Weber - Even though he was out hurt for a stretch he is still amonst the leaders in points by defensemen.

Stephane Robidas - Second only to Mike Green in goals by a defenseman.  He is having a career year.

Erik Johnson - As advertised Johnson is a great defensemen.

Goaltenders

Ilya Bryzgalov - One of the main reasons that the Coyotes are in the playoffs this season.

Roberto Luongo - It almost goes without saying.  All though his lows have been low when they occur.

Craig Anderson - The main reason that Colorado is anything more than a flop this year.

Alternate Goaltenders

Miikka Kiprusoff and Evgeni Nabokov

In This FanPost

Teams