FanPost

Drury and his contract

Well, I've seen a bunch of hate and criticism lately about how Drury sucks and how he's under performed here in NY. The thing is, except for last year when he received less ice time, he wasn't exactly a bust. Sure he got a huge contract that he definitely did not deserve, but he played as well as he was expected to for his 1st 2 seasons.

I mean, I hate his contract as much as any other person, but don't let his contract blind you from what he has done. When he came to NY, his career average in points for a season was 57 points. What did he finish with in his 1st season? 58 points. That's a good year for most hockey players, and it was a decent year for Drury. He didn't disappoint, but for some reason I think most people expected him to get like 70 points and 30 goals or something like that. Then the next year he got 56 points, which is basically the same. He had 2 good years with us and people hated him. He wins faceoffs, does great on the PK, blocks shots, plays well defensively, and he was scoring the way a 2nd line center should.

Now, I know last year was pretty bad for him. It was bad for all of us, but he got less ice time and he is getting older. He played pretty much as our 3rd and 4th line center while still playing great defense and being our top PKer. Plus, he still chipped in as much as a 3rd/4th line center should.

What I'm trying to say is that his contract is obviously way overpriced, but don't let the contract blind you into believing that his 1st 2 years here were bad, they weren't at all. In fact I'd consider them a success, and sure last year he let us all down, but he didn't get as much ice time and he is getting up there in age. Last year was NOT a success, but it wasn't awful, it was a below average year I guess you could say. But, his defense and faceoffs haven't suffered and he is still doing those things for us pretty damn well. And who knows, maybe he'll have a bounce back year, not 55+ points, but maybe 40 or something like that. Just hope some people realize that his contract isn't going to get him 70+ points.