FanPost

Sean Avery and what's fair

““It’s pretty obvious what the guy was doing,” Avery said. “But I’m sure nothing will happen to him. … Nothing ever happens. It was pretty obvious what happened. You guys saw it, right? It’s interesting that you’d get a warning for something like that. Can you imagine if I did something like that? They sent me to rehab last time I did something.” - Sean Avery on James Wiesniewski

This really bugs me. I know what Avery is and what he isn't. Is he a piece of garbage who runs his mouth and annoys people? Yes. Would I want to kill him if I ever had to interact with him on an everyday basis? Yep. However, he is NOT - unlike about 15% of the NHL - a cheapshot artist to spends his time running around the ice trying to hurt people, like Matt Cooke and Patrick Kaleta. And yet it is Avery rather than Cooke, Kaleta, and many others who is treated like a felon by the referees. I don't even care that much about the Wiesniewski thing; I mean, it was actually pretty funny...but the point is that it if had been Avery, Herr Bettman would've thrown Avery back into whatever padded room he keeps reserved for him at NHL headquarters.

But hey, whatever, no big deal if Matt Cooke knocks Marc Savard out for two seasons, right? It's perfectly cool as long as he didn't insult his girlfriend beforehand.