FanPost

Creating More History

Brian Leetch #2, Adam Graves #9, Mark Messier #11, Mike Richter #35. Mike Del Zotto #4, Marc Staal #18?

The Rangers of the 90's had familiar names that stuck with the team and became staples of the franchise. As the years go by, it seems like the Rangers have been attempting to do this once again, but failing. Eric Lindros, Jaromir Jagr, etc have been failed attempts at franchise staples.

You can argue Marian Gaborik will be that type of player, but he just doesn't seem to be the leader and the type of player that would gain this kind of respect. In 50 years I doubt anyone will remember Gaborik, Drury, even, dare I say it, Derek Boogaard!

The players that seem like fans would remember are Ryan Callahan, Mike Del Zotto, and Marc Staal. Let me say from day one I was excited about Del Zotto. Staal struggled offensively a bit, but has really taken over as one of the teams leaders, especially defensively. Callahan is another leader, while not being one of the stars offensively since he made it, he's been solid and a great leader, earning an alternate captain role.

It's way too early to expect any of these players to be remembered in Rangers history, get their numbers retired, or anything like that. It isn't too early to look forward to a future, hopefully with Callahan, Del Zotto, Staal, Derek Stepan maybe, and other young upcoming players taking over the franchise.

Let's add to the history.