FanPost

Are the Rangers in a youth movement?

I recently had a "discussion" with someone who says the Rangers need to go through a rebuild, to which I immediately scoffed at.

Youth movement? The average age of an NHL team is 27.5 years. The Rangers sit at 27.3. That's not exactly the definition of a youth movement, rather, you had a youth movement after the lock-out, but these "kids" are getting older.

Uh, Mat...t Gilroy is 26-years old. Remember, he was an NCAA free agent, not an 18-year old draft pick. Dubinsky is 24. If people don't consider Tyler Bozak to be all that young, then Dubinsky sure cannot be as he turns 25 in 2011 and he has how many seasons under his belt? Ryan Callahan is 25, turns 26 in 2011. Girardi is 26, he turns 27 on the same day Dubinsky turns 25. Marc Staal is borderline at 23 going on 24.

These aren't "youth movement" numbers. You've got a few draft picks in the mix (Stepan, Del Zotto, whoever), so you've got an average-aged team with upside."

Thoughts?