FanPost

Rangers Make Their Cuts: Some Things Never Change

As a Ranger fan each year we start with a new level of hope, but some of us have seen the same things happen over and over again to the point where we start with a realism/pessimism of what they are going to do to disappoint us this time.  Today is one of those days in a way for me because the Rangers had a couple of cuts to make today and instead of doing what is good for this team long term they decided to do what they always do, protect the vets and worry about the playoffs at the expense of young players.

Today's Roster Moves via Andrew Gross:

#NYRangers send Ryan McDonagh, Pavel Valentenko, Dale Weise and Mats Zuccarello to Hartford (AHL). Little surprised on McDonagh.
That leaves 25 on #NYRangers roster, seven D-men, plus Vinny Prospal (right knee) and Chris Drury (finger), who will likely start on IR.

So this means we kept wastes like Steve Eminger and Todd White on the roster and appears they are both staying around at least until we have to take the two other old guys off the IR.  Depressing and anyone that thinks Stepan is a lock because of how he played this preseason when you just saw guys like White and Eminger be saved for no reason should reconsider that assumption.  In talking about the youth movement and people saying that we have infused the youth on D over the prior years my counter has been that where we have put the youth in it was because the front office didnt have other option.  This year they didnt really have a viable option in Eminger, but they still went in that direction.  So much for all that "talk" before the preseason that the roster decisions would be made not based on names, and salaries, but play.  The phrase, actions speak louder than words has never been more appropriate for this team.