FanPost

Rangers Interested in Christian Ehrhoff?

In his latest speculation about where the Rangers might be looking to go on D, Steve Zipay, speculated about Ryan Parent, David Hale as guys who have been waived along with Bryan Allen and Christian Ehrhoff as guys who need to be traded for.  I do not see Vancouver giving up Ehrhoff for anything less than a big package as he is a very good offensive d-man in his prime years, and only has 1 year at 3.1 mil cap hit remaining.  Vancouver does have a stacked defensive group and the thought was one, mainly Kevin Bieksa, could be moved to help cap issues, but with Sami Salo sidelined that thinking has been taken back a bit.  Dont know if this list is Zipay throwing names against the wall or based on some sort of sourcing, but if Christian Ehrhoff is available I would certainly inquire and depending on price be very interested.  Coming off back to back 40 point years, excellent on the point running a power play and only one bad year in terms of +/-.  Much higher upside imo than Souray with much less risk, only difference would be it would cost product as opposed to just money.

Would you be interested? what cost would you pay?

Before it starts elsewhere because there is an anti-rozi crowd this is the type of guy where you could talk about getting rid of rozi if you got him because he can and does play top 4 minutes, and does so responsibly.

Small smurf impression after the jump, but no spreadsheets.

Added a little Advanced Stats

I usually leave advanced stats to smurf and for the most part I will again, but one that I like is GVT (Goals Versus Threshold).  The best way I can think to describe it is that it is a comparison of goals vs a replacement player, similar to RAR in baseball for stat heads.  The conversion rate I have see is to turn it into the WAR (wins above replacement) equivalent that baseball has would be to take GVT and divide by 6.

Let's compare Ehrhoff's 2009-10 numbers to those of others.  Offensively he scored a 7.2, defensively a 7.3 for a total of 14.6 (must be a rounding thing).  On the NYR last year that number would have ranked Ehrhoff 3rd behind only Hank at 28.3 (6th best in the league) and Gabby at 20.4.  Marc Staal was our top D at 10.4 followed by Girardi 6.8, Rozi 5.6, MDZ 4.9, Gilroy 3.5.  Personally one reason I like GVT is I think it does a pretty good job of assessing overall play and I would rank the overall performance of our D very similar to those.

Overall in the league the 14.6 Ehrhoff scored was tied with Chara and Myers for 6th highest among D.  So like I said, i would expect the cost to be high for him, probably at least including one of our 2nd rounders and either nhl ready talent or decent prospects.