FanPost

Rangers News: Opening Night Lines, Pairs

For the past week it has been pretty clear what the rangers would look like as they open the 2010-11 season in Buffalo against the Sabres, at least up front.  We have seen the same lines every day in practice so there are no surprises even if there will be question marks until everyone shows up when the games count.  The only question that has really loomed this week is who would constitute our last D-pair.  In practice this week the 3 contestants (Matt Gilroy, Michael Sauer and Steve Eminger) have all been shifted around playing with one another and on different sides.  Well Andrew Gross is now reporting that we have an answer as to whom will make up that 3rd pair at least tomorrow.  Answer after the jump.

Forward Lines:

Alexander Frolov- Erik Christensen - Marian Gaborik

Brandon Dubinsky  - Artem Anisimov - Ryan Callahan

Sean Avery - Derek Stepan - Ruslan Fedetenko

Derek Boogaard - Brian Boyle - Brandon Prust

D Pairs:

Marc Staal - Dan Girardi

Michael Del Zotto - Michal Rozsival

Steve Eminger - Matt Gilroy

Looks like D Mike Sauer and Fs Tim Kennedy and Todd White are the extras at today's #NYRangers skate and the likely scratches vs. #Sabres.

#NYRangers D-pairs: Staal-Girardi, Del Zotto-Rozsival, Eminger-Gilroy.

  • As I said these forward lines are as expected and now what is left is to see how they perform and how quickly Torts pulls the juggling balls out to change them up.  I like the potential of that 2nd line and considering we are playing Buffalo I dont see the point in Boogaard being in the lineup, but that's not a huge move.
  • The top 4 on D are as expected and will be that way for a while in my opinion.  I am disappointed, but not at all surprised that Eminger got the nod over Sauer even though Sauer vastly outplayed Eminger for the entire preseason.  Guess it pays to be a veteran, but then again one must ask how a young player can ever become a veteran if he doesnt play?  Yes it is one game, but one more than I ever hoped to see Eminger dress when they counted.