FanPost

Can "Trader Glen" find help for the Blueline

I'm not suggesting we re-tool the whole D, but some changes need to be made. We need a solid, experienced player back there, to take the heat as the #1 and help the rest of our D live up to their potential.

The best way for us to acquire someone like that would seem to be to "color up". Take our glut of prospects on D and someone young from the lineup, and try to get back someone back is already is what we HOPE when of our young defensemen will become. We're not selling the whole farm, just a piece or two - for a player who can help with the development of all the pieces we have left.

To make something like that happen, you have to include one of Staal or MDZ. Before everyone freaks out, let me point out, I'm not talking about trade for a 34 year old who USED TO be good. I'm talking about brining in a player who is IN THEIR PRIME, and will be an upgrade over either Staal or MDZ now, and for years to come. Whoever we brought in would the type of player WE HOPE Staal or MDZ become when they reach their primes. Because the pipeline has alot more in the way of defensive defensemen then puck movers, I'd recomend moving Staal over MDZ.

In a completely fictional move, that I'm not saying would happen, but is strictly to demonstrate what I'm talking about, so everyone doesn't turn this into "why do you want to trade Staal" thing - I'd suggest trying to move Staal and prospects/picks for Duncan Keith. Keith would clearly be our top guy, and someone the rest of the D would have no problem looking to for help. He's still young, and will be part of our team for years to come. From the Hawks perspective Staal would be able to step in and contribute immediatly, while giving a cash strapped team roughly 2 mil in cap relief. (and we could cover that extra 2 mil coming back by demoting Todd White).

Now, that's a trade that will NEVER happen. Keith has a NMC. I know this. However, it seemed like a good way to make my point about THE TYPE of move I'd like to see Glen make. I'm not talking about  selling off these guys for has beens, I'm talking about making a move that can help us today, and tomorrow. If you have your own suggestions, share them in the comments. Obviously, as I said above, MDZ could be the guy we move, if you thought there was an offensive defenseman who we should bring in. Just thought it might provide a POSITIVE outlet to get some of our frustration with the D out.